Installing a closed-circuit television (CCTV) system can significantly bolster home safety and provide peace of mind.
Home security is a top priority for homeowners, particularly for seniors who are more vulnerable to potential risks. The following explore the rationale behind seeking rebates for a CCTV security system and the points to consider when purchasing and installing one.
Safe City Community CCTV
In many regions, including Gosnells, Western Australia, homeowners can take advantage of safety and security rebates to make investing in a CCTV system more affordable.
In late July 2023, the Gosnells city government brought back the Safe City Community CCTV Programme for FY24 after a successful implementation in FY23. A joint project of the city administration, the WA Police Force, and the local community, the programme will offer residents rebates of half the total cost of their purchase and installation of a CCTV system from a list of approved contractors, with rebates up to $500, provided the overall cost reaches $1,000.
CCTV systems costing over $1,000 will still be marked for $500 rebates. Rebate applicants must also agree to have their CCTVs linked to the WA Police’s Cam-Map system and provide footage upon request.
The programme will only cover 125 properties. The deadline for funding pre-approvals is May 1, 2024, with the programme finishing at midday on June 28, 2024.
Rebates for CCTV Security System
Purchasing and installing a CCTV system can involve a significant initial investment. Seeking rebates offered by local governments or security service providers can help homeowners offset a portion of the expenses, making the decision to enhance home security more cost-effective.
Governments and local authorities often incentivise the adoption of security measures to create safer communities. By offering rebates, they encourage homeowners, especially seniors, to invest in security systems, thereby promoting overall safety in the neighborhood.
Seniors, in particular, benefit from CCTV systems as they provide an extra layer of protection and surveillance against potential intruders or accidents. Rebates aimed at seniors foster a sense of care and support for this demographic, acknowledging their security needs.
CCTV systems act as deterrents against criminal activities, as potential intruders are less likely to target properties with visible surveillance. Promoting the use of CCTV through rebates can help authorities contribute to the prevention of crime in residential areas.
What’s the best CCTV System for you?
When purchasing and installing a CCTV system, evaluate these points to select the most suitable CCTV system to safeguard your property:
- Camera Quality. Choose high-resolution cameras to capture footage that is both clear and detailed. High-definition (HD) or Ultra HD (4K) cameras provide better visibility and can aid in identifying potential threats more effectively.
- Camera Type and Placement. Choose between fixed and pan-tilt-zoom (PTZ) cameras based on your specific needs. Additionally, strategically position cameras to cover vulnerable entry points and key areas of your property.
- Night Vision Capability. Ensure the CCTV cameras have infrared (IR) capabilities for clear monitoring in low-light or nighttime conditions.
- Storage and Recording. Determine the storage capacity and recording capabilities of the system. Consider options like Network Video Recorder (NVR) or Digital Video Recorder (DVR) systems with ample storage for extended recording periods.
- Remote Viewing and Mobile Apps. Look for systems that allow remote viewing through smartphones or other mobile devices. This feature enables homeowners, including seniors, to monitor their property from anywhere, enhancing convenience and peace of mind.
- Integration with Existing Security Measures. If you already have a security system in place, ensure that the CCTV system is compatible and can be integrated seamlessly.
- Professional Installation. While some homeowners may opt for DIY installations, professional installation ensures the system is set up correctly, ensuring maximum coverage while lowering potential issues.
- Privacy and Compliance. Be mindful of privacy considerations and comply with local regulations regarding the use of CCTV systems in residential areas.
- System Scalability. Consider the ability to expand or upgrade the CCTV system in the future if needed. A scalable system can adapt to changing security requirements.
- Warranty and Support. Choose a reputable brand that offers a warranty and reliable customer support for troubleshooting and maintenance.
Adhere to privacy regulations and choose a reputable brand that offers warranty and support to ensure a seamless and reliable home security solution.
The ASAG Reverse Mortgage
Seniors deserve the opportunity to enjoy their retirement years in peace and quiet. Opting to install a CCTV security system in your residence is a wise choice aimed for safety and providing a sense of serenity. Take advantage of the safety and security rebates from the local government to make this investment more affordable.
The ASAG Reverse Mortgage offers a possibility for seniors to allocate funds towards suitable security measures as part of their home improvement goal. For inquiries, reach out to us at 1300 002 724 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You also have the option to evaluate your home equity using our free tool provided below.
DISCLAIMER: This article is for informational purposes only. The Australian Seniors Advisory Group has no relations with the City of Gosnells council or any security devices vendor.