The ASAG Reverse Mortgage, an option to be on a digital detox when a senior or a loved one had a lot of time with a device.
Sometimes, the level of digital gadget immersion is too much, whether you’re a senior or know a loved one who’s had a lot of time with a device. One option would be to go out on a digital detox holiday and possibly fund it through an ASAG Reverse Mortgage.
There are a number of benefits to glean from going on a digital detox.
- Improved productivity. Your day might have more results if you set aside the devices and focus on what must be done, especially at work.
- Better sleep. No tech usage before sleep avoids sensory disruptions from blue light, thereby allowing you to sleep longer hours.
- Stress management. Not using your devices for some time allows you a chance to relieve yourself of stress, which primarily comes as you absorb and understand any content shown through the machines.
- Improved thinking. Taking some time away from using a gadget enables you to have more time to think about other things and build up your own creativity.
- Reduced chances of a sedentary lifestyle. Some studies point at a major obesity problem among Australians due to staying seated for long periods of time looking at a screen. Setting aside the devices and heading outdoors is an opportunity to get in shape.
The ideal digital detox place
A look at various travel destinations that offer digital detox retreats will reveal some common denominators.
- Little or no tech connections. The ideal digital detox retreat has no WiFi connectivity or is in a deep mobile phone blackspot. They may still have a semblance of linkage with the outside world, as they could be containing a landline. If the place does have WiFi and you brought along a smartphone, chances are you may be asked to restrict usage to your quarters and at select times only. There are no TVs as well, for the most part. Do not bring laptops too.
- Activities. The general region around your retreat place will have a full assortment of activities to keep guests occupied. For example, if the retreat location is on a coastal region or an island, you’re more than welcome to go swimming and appreciate the sights, including starry night skies. Places in the outback open opportunities for hiking, nature tripping, and cultural immersion.
For on-site activities, get ready to dive in with sessions on yoga, pilates, and dancing, and the chance to interact with other guests. Seniors seeking peace of mind and relaxation could have a fun time with a wellness spa. Why yoga? Some yoga gurus claim that seniors undertaking yoga can earn the benefit of, among others, better sleep and improved breathing.
Even at home, you can start with some simple tips to “disconnect”:
- Try putting your phone on airplane mode or silent to reduce the sound of notification alerts. This way, you resist the tendency to rush and check the gadget everytime it rings. You can set periods during the day when you do not want to be disturbed.
- Stop using the gadgets at least an hour before sleeping. Some studies claim that the blue light from electronic screens has the ugly effect of disrupting the body as it prepares to wind down for the day. You may have heard of some friends who complain of having had less sleep during the night despite tucking to bed early in the evening – but turn out to finally doze off past midnight because they were on the gadgets!
- Plan out your activities for the day, especially when you have important things to do. This will help you wean off using tech devices and focus on the task at hand.
- Take the time to review all the apps on your devices then delete what may not be worth logging on every time. Consult a loved one as well to help you itemise the apps. By deleting some unnecessary apps, you could save critical memory on the device.
- Log out of any social media accounts for long periods of time or in the most extreme, shut them down completely.
The ASAG Reverse Mortgage — finance your digital detox
The team at ASAG is capable of helping you finance your digital detox Travel and Holidays. What’s required is assessing your property’s equity to figure out the amount you can access through the ASAG Reverse Mortgage. You will only repay the loan either when you sell your property or to pay it gradually over time.
It is okay to tune out of the wired world once in a while to get your bearings back on track. In many cases, a digital detox retreat can help you kick some habits and to remain healthy when you come home. Explore your holiday finance options with ASAG at 1300 002 724.
You may also get started by using our tool below to assess your available equity.