Our skin changes as we age and it is normal and nothing to worry about with proper skin care routine. Less elastic, less oily, thinner skin, age spots, and bruises more easily than “normal” skin are the common signs of ageing that older adults experience.
Older adults are stressed out due to these skin ageing problems but there are things that they can do every day to lessen all of these typical problems. We cannot prevent all skin problems caused by ageing because everyone will age. But there are skin care routines that you can acquire to slow down its appearance.
One of the common skin conditions in older adults is dry skin. It occurs more often in older adults because our body produces less oil as we age. Dry skin is not really a big problem unless it starts to itch. When itching, there is a tendency that you scratch it and start bleeding. There is a fact that as we get older, our skin heals slowly and wounds can easily become infected. So to maintain healthy skin and prevent dry skin, here are the things that you may consider doing:
- Start using soap that can moisturise your skin or is specially made for dry skins
- Instead of bathing every day, you can bathe alternately to avoid drying out the skin
- Moisturising cream or lotion is a big help, there are so many options in the market so you can choose one that you may add to your routine. You can choose one with a relaxing scent that may feel good for you
- Avoid going out on a sunny day without any sun protection such as sunscreen, a hat, or clothes that cover as much exposed skin
- Stop smoking
- Always drink plenty of water every day
- Use technology that moisturises the air one example is a humidifier
- Caffeine dries out your skin so you must limit yourself from it if needed.
Older adults absent-mindedly get bruises without knowing the reason why. Also, it is easier for them to get one than younger people. Similar to wounds, older people need a lot of time to make their bruises heal. Sometimes, medicines or illnesses are one of the causes of it, you may ask your doctor to know how you get them, especially on body parts that are usually covered.
As time went by, the skin started to wrinkle. One of the reasons behind it is the ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun, which makes the skin elastic. Also, habits like smoking can wrinkle the skin.
Many found wrinkle-solution things don’t really work. This enters the statement that not all solutions work for everyone. Some process of wrinkle solution is painful and dangerous if individually done. If you want a real solution, ask for a prescription from professionals like dermatologists, or your regular doctor.
Age spots and skin tags
One sign of skin ageing is having dark spots and bumps, it is called age spots or liver spots. It is a brown spot that is usually caused by years in the sun. They look like freckles but bigger and normally show up on the face, hands, arms, back and feet.
You can use bleaching creams to lessen these dark areas but don’t put too much since it can dry out your skin in the long run. Before using any products, you have to ask a professional first if it is suitable for you.
Ingredients in skin care products for older adults
These are the ingredients to search for in skin care products if you want anything to help manage the signs of ageing and maintain looking young.
- Alpha-lipoic acid. This kind of chemical is naturally produced by our bodies. As an antioxidant, it kills free radicals all over our bodies. Also, for skin care, it is used as a substance to erase fine lines and wrinkles that can totally give skin a healthy glow.
- Green tea extract. Tea is naturally loaded with fibres called polyphenols, which are the best solution against free radicals. Studies show that green tea extract can protect against both UVA and UVB radiation and prevention of skin cancer. Also, polyphenols in creams and lotions are a big help to slow signs of ageing and decrease sagging skin and wrinkles.
- Retinol. These are made from vitamin A and added to creams that we usually use in our skin. It helps in boosting the number of collagen that our bodies make and plumps out skin. To slow down the ageing process, correct uneven pigmentation, and treat acne, dermatologists often prescribed retinol.
- Vitamin C. Our bodies produce less collagen and elastin as we age, which keeps skin robust, flexible, and strong. Antioxidants in Vitamin C may increase collagen production and reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and scars.
Antioxidants and other ingredients to slow down skin ageing are really helpful, but consulting with professionals is a must. People have individual prescriptions to control skin ageing due to different skin types.
ASAG allows seniors a suitable skin care routine
With our ASAG Reverse Mortgage, you don’t have to stress out due to skin problems caused by ageing. You can use the equity in your home and still have young healthy skin. You don’t have to worry about repayments because, in the ASAG, regular repayment is not required. The loan will be paid off when you permanently leave your home, either you downsize, move to aged care, or pass away.
We care about you as you care for your skin because the fund that you will receive can be used for your skin problems and any Day-to-Day Expenses. Our lines are open on 1300 002 724 and at email@example.com, so feel free to call us or send your enquiries about our equity release solutions.
You may also get started by using our tool below to assess your available equity.